Make Tuesday the New Friday with Buzztime Digital Entertainment!

Thread: Cost Of Goods Sold?

Talking Cost Of Goods Sold?

Wondering if everyone could share what their "Cost Of Goods Sold" averages?

What's a good number to shoot for? 35%? 45%? More? Less?

COGS should not include any overhead or salaried employee costs.

My cogs is down to about 30% on the year to date, however I am shooting for a final closer to 27% for this year. We do over 70% food to 30% alcohol sales at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    My cogs is down to about 30% on the year to date, however I am shooting for a final closer to 27% for this year. We do over 70% food to 30% alcohol sales at this time.
    Bruce,
    Wow! 30% sounds REALLY good considering that 70% of your sales are food! (less margin on food) Are you sure that all your labor costs to produce those sales are in there?

I beleive that labor costs usually eat up about 20%. Unless you yourself are the labor, which might then be do-able. (If your not apying yourself anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Newbei View Post
    Wondering if everyone could share what their "Cost Of Goods Sold" averages?

What's a good number to shoot for? 35%? 45%? More? Less?

COGS should not include any overhead or salaried employee costs.
    Just the cost of food and alcohol purchased. I don't even count the TP as it does not sell. Anyone tells you a number in the 35% to 45% with labor included is delusional to say the least. If you can get away without hired help and do it legally, I would like to live where you do.

We also have a $8.55 minimum wage which applies to all employees and tips can not be deducted.

We run at around 28 to 30% on food and it varies by product type for alcohol.

Tap Beer is around 28%
    Packaged Beer is around 23%
    Spirits are around 21%

Keep in mind our minimum hourly wage is $16.48 with 25% loading on weekends.

The preliminary numbers I have seen coming out of the bar I am currently negotiating for are 33% for COGS..

Pc & cogs

In reading most all the threads, it looks like 16-25% PC is a good number. What's a good number for all the COGS such as when you add in all your juices, mixes, and everything else that is necessary to mix drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbei View Post
    Bruce,
    Wow! 30% sounds REALLY good considering that 70% of your sales are food! (less margin on food) Are you sure that all your labor costs to produce those sales are in there?

I beleive that labor costs usually eat up about 20%. Unless you yourself are the labor, which might then be do-able. (If your not apying yourself anything)
    I have never calculated labor into the COGS number on a financial statement. Labor is generally a separate line item.

In addition, lumping all goods sold into one line item is a poor way to evaluate the overall business because you do not see issues that may be occurring in each, distinct, area. I would prefer to target the following COGS goals: Bottled Beer 20%, Draft Beer 18-20%, Wine (glass) 15%, Non-alcoholic Beverage 6-8%, Liquor 17-20%, Food 30-35% (depending on concept, specials, etc).

Labor greatly varies based upon the concept; restaurants can be in the 30-35% range, bars/clubs hopefully in the 15-25% range.

Again, these are generalization and much is dependent on the concept and company philosophy.

By breaking the areas down into separate line items, you have a more accurate understanding of the business situation and see what subcategories need improvement and/or theft deterrence.
    Duane J. Owens, Director of Pubs
    Happy's Pizza & Pubs

Thread Information