Become THE hotspot with our 50 amazing bar promotions! Download our free guide now

Thread: Operating under the seller's liquor license

Operating under the seller's liquor license

I recently signed my lease and I am starting the "purchase of existing license" process for the liquor license but the seller has said that we can open under his license until we complete the process and have the license in our name. Can anyone give me some insight into this? I realize that when you buy and existing bar that is open and operating that there is a sale/transfer process that takes place without closing the doors or having a laps in license coverage. I'm just curious, would I list the seller as, say, a consultant for "x" amount of time?

I believe your the consultant, in Ky you cannot operate on somebody elses license at all. In ohio you can have management contract, your the manager. The taxes are still paid under the holder of the liquor license name. Both bars I bought I "managed" while in the process of transfering the license, because both owners wanted out right now. I think its an iffy situation for both parties and I dont know if I would be as kind.

Otherwise he continues running it as his until the day the transfer takes place.

In California this is a violation. But after the business closes escrow about 30 days you would get a temp license.

Now my question is if you give hire the $$ and start to operate the business, what happens if you find out there are bills over due, lawsuits etc that you might inherit.

Hire a lawyer or consultant, the $$ may be worth it.

EAST/CENT. NEBR., RIGHT ON THE NORTH EDGE OF HELL

Temp

BR,
    Here in Ne. when the "buyer" has submitted an app. for the liquor license the state can issue a "Temporary Agency", this way you can operate under the previous owners license until yours shows up...Some, and only some of the greedy sellers will charge the buyer an arm and a leg to use their license for the 30 or so days it takes to get yours. As soon as the TA is issued YOU are responsible for everything. Sometimes you're better off if you just close down until your license comes in...hell most of the time you're closed down for touch up, remodel or whatever anyway... BUT, that's here and I'm sure it's gotta be different there..
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Bell Ringer

I apologize that this has nothing to do with your post. I heard from a friend that you were opening up a place off 18th and Baltimore and I was wondering when and where I could go to apply? I can't find any information on your business anywhere. I would appreciate a reply, you can send to my e-mail. Lindsey.Leimbach@yahoo.com

THANK YOU!

Thread Information