Make Tuesday the New Friday with Buzztime Digital Entertainment!

Thread: Want to open a concert venue/bar

Smile Want to open a concert venue/bar

ive been reading up on the threads and i may say its very educational. i am new to the nightclub business but i recently came across an oportunity that i just cannot seem to let go of. This is the scenario: i came up with the idea of opening a venue for local/national acts but would also be a rock club/bar of sorts. i mentioned it to a friend and he immediately said he had 100k to put into it and a couple of days later he said he had two more buddies that were interested in the idea. So all of a sudden, i can potentially collect about 300 to 500k for my idea. now, ive been working on a business plan and i am positive that the venue would work, location (which we already fiound) is prime, in a downtown area, the concert hall/stage/bar area is about 7,500 square feet plus a second level vip/office area that is 2000 square feet. there is no place like it around in the county, so there is no competition with the exception of the surrounding nightclubs, but our theme is completely different, plus there are no concert venues of that size for about an hour drive from it.
    with that said...i need some pointers on how much the startup cost for liquor is (ballpark)? if you read my scenario, what would be your next step?
    any help is appreciated.

my next step would be to develop a business plan and budget to work from. 500k on a venue will go like lightning if you need hvac, plumbing, electric, dance lighting, sound and so on. For liquor I would budget around 17k. How many bars do you plan on?

When you build a club like this does it need its own parking? How many parking spaces are required for the 7500 (9500) square foot venue? Would this be in Downtown Palm Beach? How many patrons could you have in this space? (thinking out loud here)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Clubdesign: there would be 2 bars in place, on opposite sides of the room. we have estimates on construction, sound, lighting and stage and furnishings (stools, tables, etc)

Daryl: Yes it would be in Downtown West Palm Beach. Familiar with the area? any pointers?

oh, as far as parking goes...several people have brought that up, there are about 3 parking garages and 3 parking lots in the surrounding blocks. Plus, when anybody goes downtown it is kind of a free for all as far as parking is concerned. Everyone always figures out where to park.

Thanks again.

Smile Parking requirements

The reason I check in with the forum everyday, is -I have very little experience in club operations and startups. However, I do know that as it relates to my interest----Parking is an important issue.

For one thing...if you need to have the citys permission to get the liquor permit, parking is always a concern. Typically, if clubs draw a lot of people parking in neighborhoods can be a problem. You mentioned this is downtown, so it may be a mute point at your location.

According to Floirda Building code, or more accurately the Fire safety code , I think the load capacity is calculated on the square footage. For movable, loose tables and chairs the factor is 15 square feet per person. For bar space I think it may be less. And without any furniture or tables it is more load ( people) per square foot.

The point is for 9500 square feet would be around 630 (or more capacity)which I think is about 160 parking spaces. (or more because you have opens space floor plan)

Others may be able to share more accurate information.

But to give a place a chance good parking is a reasonable factor to consider. It it is too costly or is not easy access, it could be something to consider. Certianly not a show stopper, but a point of discussion.

Daryl i think you make an excellent point but i am pretty certain that parking will not be an issue. there are plenty of private parking lots and garages surrounding the building, certainly over 160 spots.

follow up

Hey,

i am just wondering if your venue ever materialized? I am in the process of working towards opening a new concert venue, very similiar to your description in the Southern Maryland area.

Any of your insights would be great! ~ I have been working on my thoughts and current business since 2004, I hope to maybe open within this next year.

Best regards,
    -Paul

Concert Venue/Bar reply

Sounds like either Bamboo Room in Lake Worth (was my favorite bar), or City Limits in Delray Beach

Thread Information