Get Arcade Gaming Tablets for your Bar or Restaurant!

Thread: selling a liquor license

selling a liquor license

my bar is in Cleveland Ohio.
    I am trying to find out what the license is worth and how to go about selling it.
    It is a full service license with Sunday liquor (D6)
    I know there are brokers, would it be easier to sell it on my own?
    do they (brokers) charge a fee, or is it passed on to the buyer?
    What is it worth, and how can you find out what other licenses have gone for?

any info would be helpful

yea the broker has a fee. Who pays the fee is up to the deal. As for what its worth... Its really worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If they are easy to get then it might not be worth more than what you may have paid for it. On the other hand, if they are kinda hard to come by. Then it maybe worth a lil more. But honestly, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I have seen Liq. Lic that someone was trying to sale for like 75K... An I saw the same type of lic in the paper for 25k from an owner going out of business an was just getting rid of it.

Definitely depends on demand. Here in mass they are given out by each city/town based on population. If they're all out then value is onbviously higher. Where I am they sell for over $100,000 because of big chains like PF changs and Cheesecake Factory recently moving in and creating a high demand.

Also where I am the sale of liq licenses is public info and you just call your city/town hall and ask for the licensing board - they should be able to tell you recent sales.

Why are you selling - are you closing bar?

If you do sell i would try selling yourself - 2 best places I am aware of: craigslist.org and www.bizbuysell.com - also your licensing board may know of potential interested buyers.

Good Luck!

Geez, $100,000 for a license, I'll take ten. They sell for at least $1.2M in my city. That's if you can get one.

Check the bar and tavern news, newpaper, call olba, etc for license for sale. The license in cincinnati have tripled in the last 5 years and are not hard to get rid of.

thanks everyone. David, I'd like to know where you live : )
    I have talked to some brokers, and the consensus seems to be in the mid to low thirtys. Some local guys said even less. anyone care to differ?
    I also found out that the Sunday liquor (D6) is only relative to the location, and is not transferable.
    The bar has been in my family for nearly 45 years. Due to the economy, and more so the decline of the area, I find myself having to close.

Licence

Are you still selling your licence? If you are, let me know...
    A

Thread Information