Make Tuesday the New Friday with Buzztime Digital Entertainment!

Thread: How Do You Get A Sponsor??

Question How Do You Get A Sponsor??

I never use sponsors for my events or Current night club. I have been noticing other promoters and venues using Sponsors... What are the steps of getting sponsors? Also, how do I go about getting specific sponsors?
    HELP!!!

sponsors want to see what you have to offer them in return for their investment in your event. I would reccommend putting together a proposal that highlights all your advertising mediums and why it benefits the sponsor.

For example if you were trying to get budweiser to sponsor a concert that had 8-10 weeks slotted for a marketing campaign. Mainstream advertising would include radio, flyers, televisions, newspaper(I love college newspapers), possible radio tie-ins for contests....Show them what they get for those 8-10 weeks ... if possible I like to cover atleast half of my Advertising costs in sponsorships.

plus other forms of advertisements like myspace, facebook, targeted mail lists, e-cards, google ad-words, pollstar, car wraps, publicity stunts, aerial advertising etc etc you get the picture.

Show why your concert demographic is important to Budweiser and as a main sponsor they would be on a premium slot as a co-sponsor on all media. On the back of the flyers this is great for small sponsors(remember no sponsorship is too small) for 2x4 ads. I have slated 8 2x4's on the back of flyers and sold them to different kinds of businesses that may also have an interest in targeted demographic.

In order to do this.. for alcohol find out who is the distributor for that venue and talk to them... some good companies when dealing with sponsorships:
    coke
    pepsi
    budweiser
    miller
    Red Bull
    Sky Vodka

Use competitors and pit them against each other... if the first isn't interested let them know politely you're going with their competition.

Hope this was helpful to you

Kevin
    Last edited by kmhunt; 08-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Wink

I do understand, thank you. That helped a lot. I will start putting together that proposal. How do you contact the sponsors? Through Venues finding out who the distributor is? This is definitely a first. I have been paying for everything, promotion costs and everything. I want to get a sponsor for our wrist bands as well.... I went to an even in LA recently and there were wristbands with a FOX television show on them... any suggestions Kev?

lol fox is a little out of my league, but try to make up a list of the sponsors you would like to have that would have some sort of interest in your event.

1. First off, what kind of events are you looking at?

2. Demographics/ Target Market?

3. Find out how that target market thinks and operates. Where do they go? Average Income? Where do they spend their money?

4. What sorts of companies would also like to hit that target market?

5. What can you offer that company that is unique or atleast new to them? What kind of benefits does that offer them? Publicity, monetary returns, exclusive rights to sell a product at your event, layered advertising.

For your wristbands something I would consider doing is talking with a Pizza company + Sandwich shop that delivers(I would say chinese but I have found most chinese restaurants could care less about events)...ask these companies to pay for the wristbands and use your flyers as box/sandwich toppers when they deliver food....www.pkgraphics.com and www.rushflyers.com offer good rates on flyers in sets of 5000. You can get 20,000 UV coated double sided 4x6's from rushflyers for $380.00 + shipping.... Now you offer to put them on all your flyers and wristbands ... and if they want to be a PREMIUM(CO-SPONSOR BIG $$) then they get premium spots plus mentions on the radio if you do radio advertising....

For larger events ... rule of thumb is 15% of your potential gross should go to advertising/marketing..... someone I know 20-25% and pulls in BIG numbers.

Promotions is marketing, sales, administration and hustling all in one. Think outside of the box and from every angle and perspective you can. Sit in your clients(potential sponsor) shoes... what do they want?

Would you give me money just to say MzEnt was a sponsor of this event? Sell them on the dream and why it benefits them.

I'm still new to the game and learning but progressing up the ladder with hard work and learning my market... working on a 5000+ concert currently, should be fun!!

Kevin

WOW! You have so much knowledge in those areas! You have no idea how much of a help you are! Wow! You have a great point indeed! Well... The funny thing is that I am currently working on night clubs... We want to bring an artist every 2 weeks so I'm looking for sponsors for the bar as well as for our promotions. I love the 'Pizza' Idea! That sounds like a fantastic idea! Where have you been all my (promotion) life lol. I am going to prepare a document so that I can present this to sponsors with confidence. You sound like you've dealt with sponsors and things like that... What sponsors have you worked with?

Budweiser, Pepsi, Papa John's Pizza, Red Bull, Florida Tan, Travel Agencies, Transportation services.. . limos and busses, alot of local companies in all different kinds of businesses.

You may also want to work out some deals with nearby Hotels... maybe even cross promote with the pizza companies...hotel offers reduced rates on rooms for event customers, pizza company pays for room cards at hotel(ie gets advertising every time a room is rented), pizza company wristbands as well, you might allow pizza company to sell in venue if possible, you get pizza toppers and offer your clients a place to crash....

If you are really inventive find out a way to tie in a taxi service on the deal so out of towners get a ride to the hotel. You may even collect a % of hotel rooms & cab fare sold that night if you are a hustler(I'm not yet lol).

Whenever you can do tie-ins, tradeouts on tickets etc etc... but always be mindful of your costs. As a promoter your objective is to maximize your advertising dollars for a sellout.

When working with a major artist they will give you rider contracts that almost always has management & promotions people names and phone numbers(If not-give me artist name & I can most likely find out for you). In your offers I would ask for meet & greets, radio call in interview, etc etc(use imagination). As soon as the offer is accepted ask for free promotional material, if you can get radio tie-ins do it. Now is political season so radio companies I believe are obliged to give the lowest rate to political candidates so they can't give you free advertising... but can give you bonus time on a paid schedule(ticket tradeout 1-5 VIP tickets + 10+ General Admission has been what I've dealt w/ most).

Make sure the radio company gives you a proposal, and if you can help it make the promos INTERACTIVE instead of 10th caller gets tickets... that is soooo BLAH. Make the listeners do something for the tickets and they will appreciate it more. Radio stations like promos that require people to 'tune in' as well-keep that in mind if you intend on making them an offer(radio rates can be semi-negotiable).

Give away all your FREE tickets early in your promotional campaign. You do not want people waiting until the day before the show to BUY tickets on the hopes of WINNING. Example: 8 week campaign 3 weeks-giveaways bonus radio time 5 weeks paid schedule.

This post went on forever, let me know if you want more ideas.

Kevin
    Last edited by kmhunt; 08-07-2008 at 12:04 AM.

I have set up sponsorships from large alcohol to local businesses who had our same target demographic. Most of the time it will be something small to benefit both of you, so many promoters think the companies will give a large lump sum of money to you for putting them on some flyers etc but the most common way is almost a barter system.

thesayresgroup - can you give any suggestions or examples of bartering? It just seems for a new company just starting out, the leverage they have when bartering with an established name i.e. coke or pizza hut is minimal, so it seems you wouldn't have much to offer to get them to work with you. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Julian
    www.Jippidy.com - Video Yellow Pages

Ask yourself what you have to offer and highlight all those things... then see what you want and see if you can find similar value. There is nothing set in stone just bargain away.

Who do you speak to at the sponsors?

Who is the right person to contact at a potential sponsor to speak about sponsorship for an event?

FYI: Most beer companies in California will not give you anything due to the laws here. Your best bet is the energy drink people here. I have never gotten any $$ from a beer company unless it was on the down-low.

Thread Information