Get Arcade Gaming Tablets for your Bar or Restaurant!

Thread: Nightclub/Bar Consultant Position Wanted

Lightbulb Nightclub/Bar Consultant Position Wanted

Seeking position as full time consultant in Bar & Nightclub industry. Young, experienced consultant with experience in both bar and consulting sectors, looking to add value to restuarant and bar consulting company. I also have experience starting and running online bar/nightclub promotions company. Hardworking, passionate and self motivated professional with contacts in industry. Radio and promotions experience as well. Resume and cover letter available upon request.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Tony DiLoreto

Hey Tony

Welcome I hope you can stick around the forum and help out with some of your experiance for all of the great like minded people with a passion like yours for the nightlife!

Are you geographically fixed? how many years of experiance do you have? have you ever done any turn arounds?

These are some good add ons for you to help find some customers. adding as little more info on your background might help to generate some interest!

Cheers
    Chris

The Little Black Bar Book
    www.excellentbars.com

consultant

what kind of experience do you have ? how many years ? you say you are young and experienced but the two don't go together. who have you worked for ?
    www.thesaltydog.net

Chris, Ministry,

Thank you for your replies. I am not fixed in any location as I am looking to try something new and get into the industry. I should have made myself more clear when I made my post; I am probably not as experienced as one of you (or the many others that post in these forums) but I am not a greenback either. I have worked in bars / radio as mentioned, and looking to go from an intoxicologist to a professional consultant to make recommendations and give opinions. Any information you (or others) could provide on where someone like myself could get started would be much appreciated.

consultant

tony, i'm not trying to be a smart ass but you never did say how long you have been in the biz. yes i have been at this 20 years but i have also used consultants that have had 1/2 the years i have. if they have a good idea or a new twist on things i listen. i learn something new everyday. fill us in and i may call you.
    www.thesaltydog.net

Hey Tony

[QUOTE=TonyGuestBook;36125]Chris, Ministry,

I am looking to go from an intoxicologist to a professional consultant to make recommendations and give opinions.

Easy guys..

Tony my name is Bon-die Fortner I am a consultant in the industry myself as you will find out there are a few of us here. I want to give you a few tips and I hope you take them as I intend them.

First of all this business is not a "make recommendations and give opinions" kind of gig. Most of what we do is hands on. I spend hours developing manuals or spread sheets, I bring architects and equipment purveyors together so the disign fits, I train managers by managing the clubs and working the systems open to close until they get it and can execute it. I build sales by attacking from multiple approaches (not just by throwing out flyers and send e-vites on Myspace). It is a very hands on business.

Secondly, i would say if you have no management experience at the GM level, nor owned or at least have a degree in the field, you are not ready to call yourself a consultant. The skill sets you mentioned and the experience you listed suggests to me that you may want to give it a go as a promoter.

Third, as was mentioned earlier, never use the words "young" and "experienced" when in refference to your desire to "get into" the industry. Young equals little time for practical experience, let alone the diverse experiences you will need to address a clients needs. Don't be a one trick pony, go get some experience, study the industry, stay on this forum and read plus contribute. It will all help.

I do not want to discourage you based on youth. I got a young start myself, I had my first contract with a restaurant group that had 75 units at the time when I was 21 yrs old.

Best of luck! I am currently serving as an interim GM for a 3 story bar in the heart of a historic entertainment and cultural district with 2.5 mm in sales. You never know where this business will take you. I am always looking for my next project. See you around. ~B. Fortner

Hello!

My name is Jon and I'm looking to gain more insight from this group. My background: I concentrated in marketing and entrepreneurship and desire to one day own a restaurant/lounge. I have been a waiter, caterer, and student promoter over the past few years. I don't have experience as a consultant like you all have, but I'm willing to put in the time and am passionate about learning. Right now, I have an offer of sorts on the table with a local restaurant/lounge to create marketing/advertising strategies, as well as contribute with operational strategies for this business that has been going through identity changes over the two years it has been in existence. I wanted to gather information from the group as to come up with a contract that the owner and I can agree on. We have discussed my getting a percentage of bar and food sales, hosting events, 50% off meals and possible % of bottle service and a guestlist for the lounge. Do any of you all have a contract available, or could give me more insight on this? I look forward to learning as much as I can from you all, and hope to be able to contribute to ideas as well!

always unique

Contracts are unique to the scenario. What works for one will not work for another. The best you can do is decide a rate of pay that is satifactory to you. Then, work with the owner to create a package that accomodates that figure. You will need to address expectations and a way to measure your performance. You have obligations beyond a asking price. You have to show the value in that price. Will you guarantee your work? Will you be on a set time frame? Are you being paid as contract labor? There are more questions than these that will arrise so be prepared.

~B

Young

I agree with B. Fortener. The word young does not necessarily engender an immediate sense of respect in this business. While I also started young, managing a bar in Hollywood at the age of 22, I probably did not have the on paper experience to have landed the gig. I got it because I impressed the owners with my ethics and tenacity. However, I was not vague in the details. I told them exactly what I had done. They liked me for my malleability and because they knew I would be loyal. You will not be able to hood wink anyone in this industry, so don't try. When someone asks how much experience you have, answer them, there is no shame in being green, but there is in trying to deny it.

I'll take on a new consulting job I've been involved since 16 and currently 23. This business is my life.
    Ruben Rodrigues
    Owner/Event Planner
    647-268-3243
    rubenr@telus.net
    Miami Club Life|Club Life Toronto
    BlackBerry Pin:23335cb3

Oh boy.

Look, not doubting your passion, but when I think of "consultant" i think of a former owner, or district manager, or well seasoned former GM with a ton of references and industry experience pushing proven concepts, ideas, designs, training, manuals, and sales.

More importantly, I look at what they've done. For example, I owned 2 bars, sold one of them, and now i'm expanding my initial bar. I've got close to 19 years in the business, and i'd probably start doing consulting in another 5 to ten years when I cash out (i'm 36). This will be AFTER I have a proven track record, owned bars, opened bars, developed many systems, menus, marketing campaigns etc.

i often times have "Marketing consultants" approach me. I pull out a note pad and ask them to write down everything they've done so far, and the monetary results. I then ask them to write down the address of their business. After They see my list of the free press and attention my bars have gotten (which is the longest list i've ever seen for a bar owner), I then ask when I can come visit their operation.

WOOPS! looks like 99.9% of them have NEVER gotten an ounce of free press or attention for their business, and WOOOOOOOPS! almost none of them even HAVE a business to speak of! and yet they sit there and insult my intelligence by trying to tell me how to run mine.

I am not fixed in any location as I am looking to try something new and get into the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by blueml View Post
    I am not fixed in any location as I am looking to try something new and get into the industry.
    Just because you have a cell phone doesn't mean you have a business.

Show off your promotion skills via your website, facebook page, tweets... etc. Your signature doesn't refer to any of these.

I love the member's post regarding free publicity. How have you established yourself?

"the oldest guy at the party"
    check us out on Facebook ClubAquaNY

my pet peeeve too

"WOOPS! looks like 99.9% of them have NEVER gotten an ounce of free press or attention for their business, and WOOOOOOOPS! almost none of them even HAVE a business to speak of! and yet they sit there and insult my intelligence by trying to tell me how to run mine."

Thread Information