Make Tuesday the New Friday with Buzztime Digital Entertainment!

Thread: Soda cans vs. fountain soda...

E-Burna Guest

Soda cans vs. fountain soda...

The smaller bar/club I'm purchasing currently has their soda in cans, which they crack open to make mixed drinks and such. The bar does an avg. of 4-4500 per week. They used to have fountain soda but evidentally got damaged in a flood (or so I'm told) about a year and a half ago, and they've never bothered to get them back. They said they had contacted a 7-up guy a few times or something and he kept bullshitting them so they finally just said **** it and decided to stick it out with the cans. I'm wondering, what's the cost breakdown on bagged soda? Is it DEFINTELY worth it to go back, or is there system at 25 or 35 cents a can worth it?

Also, while we're on this, do you all buy your Red Bull from Sams club as well?

Smile

I will be opening next week. I have the gun but coke or pepsi say they don't hook those up anymore. I can not even find anyone I can pay.l

Macaw,

You may want to talk to someone at Coke. Maybe even call someone in the ATL HQ. They should be doing this. Simply say that you would like to use coke, and if they can't hook it up for you, then Pepsi will be all you use in your club. They should find someone at the distributor who will do it.

By the way, do you already have the gun? Where did you get it?

Who says you MUST go with real Coke or real Pepsi ???
    Here in Milwaukee WI, almost everyone uses a local soda comapny.
    They supply the "bag in a box" type syrup that gets mixed with soda or water in the guns just like coke or pepsi do.
    Check with your liquor reps, they must know who supplies soda besides the major bottlers.
    Last edited by JPointer; 08-22-2006 at 11:31 AM.

The other thing to remember here is the storage space for all those cans of soda. A typical soda gun system takes up about an area about 4 ' wide x 2 ' deep x 3' high. The same amount of soda in cases would be about 6' wide x 6 ' high.

The typical soda gun system uses 5 gallon boxes that makes 30 gallons of soda. That would be 26 12 packs. A 5 gallon box usually lasts 1-2 weeks depending on your volume, so unless u want to be buying soda every few days, you will need to keep a lot of cases on hand. And thats only 1 type of soda, you generally have cola, diet cola, lemon-lime, sour, and whatever fruit juices you use (usually OJ and cranberry).

The price per ounce on a gun system breaks down to 2 cents per ounce for real coke or pepsi products and 1 cent or less for generic soda. If you can buy 12 packs for less then $3, or cases for less then $6 you will break even, but you still have to store all those cases of soda. Bottles cost less, but are hrder to store, and there is more waste (cans are smaller, so when u toss that half empty can at the end of the night, it's less waste then a half empty bottle that will go flat if u try to keep it more then 1 day)

oh yeah, and all the empty cans, now u get to deal with recycling, or adding that volume to your trash.

When you look at it, a soda gun system really is a better deal, even after the initial cost, it pays for itself in convenience.
    Last edited by JPointer; 08-22-2006 at 11:48 AM.

I use both to cater to my soda snobs... my gun mixers are complimentary however if someone wants me to crack a can of soda it is added to the price of the drink $1.50 for everyone I open... I sell a shipload of both also with the guns I have OJ, Cranberry , Grapefruit, tonic, soda, energy(2 flavors) plus cola , diet, lemon/lime and Ice tea
    www.TheRiverRoost.com

Smile

I bought the gun at a bar auction. I did call coke and they said they don't do that anymore. The Bud man called someone he knew with the coke co and was told the same thing. I drink coke and I sure can tell the difference in that and pepsi. If someone wanted a rum and coke would they not be able to tell difference.

Coke installed a gun system for me almost two years ago. Charged me nothing plus three free service calls each year, what a deal.

Here is ph number for repair service they may be able to put you in contact with someone who can install it. 800-241-2653

I used can system for the first three months, sucked is all I can say. I have cranberry, sprite(7up),coke,oj,grapefruit,tonic water and soda water. I also carry cans of coke and pepsi plus tonic water for those that want it. I add fifty cents to the cost of each mix.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by macaws49
    I bought the gun at a bar auction. I did call coke and they said they don't do that anymore. The Bud man called someone he knew with the coke co and was told the same thing. I drink coke and I sure can tell the difference in that and pepsi. If someone wanted a rum and coke would they not be able to tell difference.

One of the largest clubs in wisonsin uses generic cola, diet cola etc, to my knowledge no one has ever complained about it. I'm sure it may have happened a few times, but it has never been discussed at a staff meeting, and believe me, some very petty issues were brought up over and over again. I'm sure if customers were complaining about it even once a night, something would have been said, or done (ie have a few cans of real coke/pepsi at each bar for hte pople that cant handle substitutions) but it never has. As far as I know, even the upscale "ultra lounge" clubs use the generic stuff, not sure if they get complaints as I rarely ever go to those type of clubs.

Bag & Box vs. Cans

Bag & Box is easier and will save you a fortune over the years. If you are unable to get Pepsi or Coke to install anything for you, send me a private message and I will put you in touch with someone at corporate for your state who can help.

E-Burna Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomewhereInAug
    Bag & Box is easier and will save you a fortune over the years. If you are unable to get Pepsi or Coke to install anything for you, send me a private message and I will put you in touch with someone at corporate for your state who can help.
    That's what I thought, but in an earlier post in this thread someone was saying that if you could get the 12 packs for under $3 (which is fairly easy to do) that it would be cheaper to do the can?

Also, as a side note, I'm reading a lot of people not complaining about generic soda. The bar I'm buying is very out in the open, and opening a generic can of soda for a mixer in front of customers... well, I think that would look very poorly on the bar image... no?

I think BIB sodas relates to about $0.01 per ounce of soda dispensed. This is really dependent upon what you're paying for it of course. We use Pepsi and pay $46.25 for one 5 gallon box.

So, unless you can get it cheaper that that, then BIB is always the way to go. I'm really shocked that Coke and Pepsi don't do fountain installations anymore in some areas. We've had both lines compeltely revamped last week and a fountain dispenser installed for no charge. Hmmmm.

You deffinetly want to switch to foutin soda. your cost go from .30 a can to .15 16 oz cup. Pepsi or coke provide equpment all you need is to buy product from them.

Red Bull you'll pay more through a distributer but you'll get free promo stuff and maybe even kick in a free case here and there. my miller rep just came out with a new drink called Rhino that tast just like red bull but is only 20 a case.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Burna
    That's what I thought, but in an earlier post in this thread someone was saying that if you could get the 12 packs for under $3 (which is fairly easy to do) that it would be cheaper to do the can?

Also, as a side note, I'm reading a lot of people not complaining about generic soda. The bar I'm buying is very out in the open, and opening a generic can of soda for a mixer in front of customers... well, I think that would look very poorly on the bar image... no?

Thats $3 a 12 pack for coke/pepsi products, not generic If you can find coke/pepsi products for a gun system for closer to $50/5 gal bag then a gun system would be even more cost effective, since I doubt you can find 12 packs for $1.50 or less unless you buy in bulk, but then you get to store pallets of soda that take up a lot of space.
    The generic soda I was discussing was on a gun system, no one ever sees what you are really pouring from a soda gun.
    Last edited by JPointer; 08-23-2006 at 11:17 AM.

I'm running RC Cola thru my gun 27.00 5 gal BiB people seem to think it OK
    www.TheRiverRoost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    I'm running RC Cola thru my gun 27.00 5 gal BiB people seem to think it OK
    that works out to like .7 cent per oz, cant beat that.

Here in Milwaukee most bars use products from cream city soda, it tastes a lot like coke. The bars I've talked to say they have never had anyone question if it's real coke or not. Their prices range from $18-38 a box depending if it's 3 or 5 gal and soda vs juice/tonic mix.

Thread Information