Make Tuesday the New Friday with Buzztime Digital Entertainment!

Thread: Karaoke Ideas!

Karaoke Ideas!

I have a karaoke night coming up soon and wondering what HOT IDEAS everyone has for Karaoke?

Anyone ever do a points series? I thought about doing a point series and take the patrons best 5 out of 8 weeks so they do not have to attend all 8 weeks but still trying to keep them coming back as much as possible. Has this worked for anyone?

We don't keep weekly track of scores for our karaoke singers, though I like that idea, but we do hold regular contests. Scoring is done by 1 or 2 staff members and 3 or 4 random patrons, depending on the size of the contest that week. That takes it out of the bar's hands, as I'll explain later, and frees the bar from blame/guilt. We have a lot of exceptional singers, so we judge on more than voice alone: stage presence (do they interact with the audience, dance around a bit, or just stare at the screen), audience approval (does the audience dance in their seats, show appreciation throughout and at the end, or seem disinterested in some way), and vocal ability (are they as creative as they can be with their song, are they on key or pitchy, do they have volume control, do they have a good sense of timing). These things combined come up with the competition scores; so, a FANTASTIC singer who just stands there, belting the song out too loudly (sometimes they forget they're using a microphone), may lose to a slightly lesser singer who dances around and involves the audience, winning their approval. Something to beware of when you start scoring or rating patrons/singers... sometimes the singer's ego gets bruised. While you're trying to keep them coming back to earn a better score, you may also chase them away by not scoring them as well as THEY THINK they should be. We have one lady who is a great singer, but she doesn't always win (for reasons posted earlier). When she doesn't win, she disappears for a while. But she always comes back eventually. She knows WE were only responsible for a small portion of her score. You'd think she'd learn to interact better with the patrons...her judges! Be prepared for the downside as well as the upside of rating your karaoke customers.

Karen Buchholz
    Proprietor - Malloy's Pub & Pool

Rock Star Karaoke

Saw this great night in Austin called Rock Star Karaoke. Consumer performs in front with a live band as back up. Monitors show the lyrics, but band does back up vocals. a REAL BLAST!

I have never ran a karaoke contest before. I like the idea of a month long contest. Can someone with experience give me details as to how you organize it? Like is there a buy-in fee? Scoring? Pay-outs etc.. Thanks for your time guys!

Gong Show Karaoke. Now that draws a crowd. GONG the ones that are awful.
    Jen
    a "CERTAIN" one
    booking@realityrox.com
    AIM:bookrealityrox
    http://www.realityrox.com - BOOKING SITE
    http://www.realityrox.TV - Online Show Site

wrong

Don't gong the bad one, they will get every one laughing and create their own following if they can handle the laughter. My machine has a score system built in and the worst singers seem to get the highest score and create the most fun. Instead of saying 'break', it says [interlude] and every one at the bar will holler drink at the same time. Very good for sales.

Pay scale?

We are planning to run Kareoke (sp?) two nights per week to start. I have a friend that loves to do it and she has the voice of an angel. She's also very extroverted and is good with a crowd. If I use her to run it for me, what would be a fair compensation?
    Thanks for the advice!
    Plaza Pub

I know a bar here does "Emporia Idol" and it works out really well for them, maybe you could try doing that. I think how they do it is they have like 1 hour of competition or so, and then open the floor for regular karaoke. They just start with however many people want to enter, and then the audience and 3(??) judges vote people off. The winner, if I heard right, won a three-night trip to audition for the real American Idol.

Thread Information